08 November 2015

High country the fast Way

I was so excited getting close to New Mexico. I wanted to take the train to fast forward the season a bit as it's getting closer and closer to winter. Honestly, I was apprehensive as well getting farther away from home and starting to feel some of the loneliness of being on the road by yourself. I'm not a terribly social person and tend to have quite a bit of anxiety when it comes to being around others; it is essential though that I do. The other thing that crops up and it will again and again is my anxiety making decisions and more like making the wrong decision. I can easily get paralyzed by it. Maybe it was too much speed metal in the '80s but I think my frontal cortex is damaged somehow. It was a tough decision for me to go the New Mexico route or to take the train to Northern California and riding down the coast. With some of this cold weather I'm hitting now I might still do that!
Climbing up to Trinidad State Park. BTW...I climbed all the way up to this park only to discover that camping was $30 a night, you know electricity and wifi (shoulda called first). What I've noticed on my last tour and this one is that camping now refers to RVs. State Parks and even National Parks notoriously have forsaken the tent camper. It's understandable but depressing; depressing because people just get farther and farther away from the experience of being in nature. When I'm camping out it puts my position on the food chain more in perspective but also the notion that I'm visiting the home of many other critters, who graciously (most of the time) oblige my bumbling through their territory. I must also mention my hatred for gas guzzling, road hogging RVs.

View of the Colorado Rockies on the way up Raton Pass

Leaving Colorado

Violators will be Persecuted! Believe me, the persecution of that hill was enough!

Entrance to Enchantment!

The Ratbike of Raton, NM

No comments: