08 November 2015

Raton to Nowhere (about in the middle)

I spent two days in Raton, NM because of rain. Then rode out to Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge. Raton was special and it wasn't. It really felt like a departure from one stage to another. In fact as I hit the pinnacle of the pass to come down into the town I was overcome with emotion and began to cry uncontrollably, still not sure why but it was not from sadness. I just stood there on the side of the interstate crying. Pert near hilarity. Worked up a frightful sweat going up 1000 feet at 4-6 mph then put on my jacket and gloves for the 40-50 mph decent! With a loaded touring bike momentum really builds quick! HOLD ON!
Two friends I made on US64

Another friend I met. HUGE, I had been thinking of frying up some grasshoppers for dinner and I might have if I could have found more of these. This one made a meal of my fingernail crud.

New Mexican sunset at Maxwell National Wildlife Refuge

The wildlife refuge was a beautiful spot, empty and desolate, reminding me very much of the Sandhills. In fact, as I made my way over to the BLM hunting grounds I happened upon Sandhills Cranes cooing in the distance. It was really an amazing place. 

This was at a BLM hunting grounds.

Taught Pitch

2 comments:

Zach Grabo said...

Good luck, Delan. Your trip looks fantastic so far!

Delan said...

Hey Grabo! Glad you're along for the ride.