09 July 2011

Alfalfa & Axle Grease -- Next stop Norfolk

Street running though Pilger

This road kill seems a little fishy, no?

Alfalfa field looking SE towards the Elkhorn...Just west of Pilger
I love the smells of the country and they always jar memories for me. I must say I've been truly blessed with no alergies to speak of. Riding though these small towns and gravel roads reminds me of the farm of Albert & Margrite Schwaderer, my grandparents. They lived just north of Loup City, Nebraska. Directly to the south was an alfalfa field that, in the summertime, infused the air around the farm with that sweet distinctive smell. To the north of their house was grandpa's machine shop. Grandpa's main occupation was as a road maintenance and excavating contractor. He moved dirt and did it very well by accounts I've heard. All I ever knew was that he was fun to be around, he had a great smile and next to the machine shop parked a beast of a machine called a road grader that was a veritable jungle gym. Many a visit was spent climbing on the yellow behemoth. The machine was intensely huge when you're 7 years old, with tires twice as tall as you.  It wreaked an equally sweet smell of diesel fuel and, you guessed it axle grease. Amazing what comes to mind riding your bike!
After a day of big hills and big wind I'm pooped. Only went 30 miles but it felt like much more. With gratitude I'm sitting in a motel room with a/c, clean clothes and company! My folks rendezvous'd with me here. It's good to see them. Tomorrow with heavy weather in the forecast I may stay here a day and chill before I begin the journey down the Cowboy Trail. I'm excited to check it out!

3 comments:

Amy Christensen said...

Nice pictures, especially the panoramic... weird to see a catfish on the road. Miss you much!

Anonymous said...

glad to see that you're having such an amazing time! best wishes on the roads ahead-keep us posted!!
~megan

Anonymous said...

Avoid the MAD HIGHWAY!!!!!

Ry0 Wyo