27 July 2011

Last Day in the Black Hills

Harney Peak from below. This picture was taken on my way down to Willow Creek Horse Camp, where I camped. I had to climb out the next morning. It was a tough, but wonderful, two mile climb!
On top of Harney Peak

Look out tower on top of Harney

Been tough getting here on the blog as of late. I'll try to get a few things up today. I've been hanging out with my Aunt Marj and Uncle Bill here in Rapid City and they have been taking real good care of me.  Actually I've been sleeping quite a bit. Feels good! Yesterday my aunt and I climbed to the top of Harney Peak, the tallest point in South Dakota. It was a great hike but wiped me out last night. My aunt kicked my butt on the climb!

I've been off the road now for only two days but it feels like for ever that I've been on the bike. I'm ready to get going again. It's really tempting to go on to the west. These Hills are intoxicating! The thought crossed my mind to go on to Wyoming and then down the Divide to Denver and take the train home, but money's running low as is time. It'll have to be another trip.  Next I will start out from Pierre, SD and find my way home to Omaha through all the Missouri River flooding. It' will be very interesting getting a perspective of the River all the way up the line. That is if I can get close enough.  It has been crazy seeing all that water bombard Omaha and folks like Hamburg, Iowans to the South have it even worse. It sounds as though the water is beginning to recede, but the damage will remain for quite some time. Amy's Stepdad, Jim, and his family are experiencing significant and long-lasting damage to their farm just North of Omaha. The River is literally flowing strong through their fields and the vast stands of forest on their land will likely be devastated.  Luckily they haven't lost their homes on the property.

It's gunna be tough going gettin' back home. I'll probably be going against the wind most of the way.  We'll see how it goes, I might roll into O-town crying :).  I'm going to get some other stuff up on here so stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Delan!! The photos are awesome...and the videos are even more so!! (LOVED how you turned the world upside-down at the exit of the tunnel!) The video REALLY makes a person want to try it! You make sure that if you come down this direction on your way home to let me know. We'll buy you dinner...or make it...but then you'd be taking your chances because I'm simply not the cook that Amy is!!
Ride strong, young man! I-N-V-U!!!