11 July 2011

Top o' the Evenin to Ya from Ireland!! (well as close as I can come in Nebraska)

First Bridge Out

Nothing better than jumpin in a river when it's 90F out!!

Starlight Drive In theatre in Neligh...On of the last remaining in the country.
They were showing Cars 2 or 5 or whatever.


2nd Bridge out


Hello all, first off wish you were here. kinda gets lonely out here. Had a great time in Norfolk. My parents met up with me and put me up in a motel for the night. It felt great. They saw me off Sunday morning at the Cowboy Trail trailhead. The trailhead really felt like a jumping off point. This is my first long trip on a bike and, well, you never know what's going to happen. really for the most part it seems much like going on a car trip except it take much longer to get there. It is the getting there that's important though. It's the things and the people that you experience along the way that make the trip. You really get to experience your surroundings which can be a blessing but is also a curse. An example is today: I stopped in Inman, a tiny little town just 8 miles from O'Neill. NOBODY stops in Inman but something told me to. On my way in I saw an old lady hanging about an old storefront. At first I just rode around town a bit but then I decided to go talk to her.  Turns out she owned the store and I asked her if she had any candy bars. She said "Yes, but they're 75 cents; th'were 50 for the longest time." I said "I'll take one, I need the fuel." She invited me in her store and we proceeded to chat for a good half an hour and I could tell she was just tickled to have someone new to chat with. Turns out she was married in Loup City in 1936. I mentioned my family was from there but she didn't know them. It was a neat experience and I'm finding that on this journey I really need to listen to that inner voice; like the one yesterday that told me to go jump in a river...OH IT FELT SO GOOD!!! Made the day.

Hey thanks for reading this y'all. One negative note...boo to the cowboy trail website. They said it's all open but it's not. I've got a muddy bike to prove it!! Followed hwy 275 most of the way to O'Neill

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing what I wanted to do a long time ago. Well actually my goal was to ride from Lincoln to Omaha, but that's beside the point. Looks fun! Glad you're doing it.
Just avoid any towns with cow skull awnings. You know what I'm talking about. Good Journey Biggens!

-Ryo Wy0

Amy Christensen said...

Love your picture of yourself, it's so funny! Wish I could be with you too, but someone's gotta make money to pay the bills, right? Hope to hear from you tonight!

catherine said...

You sound really happy in your writings. Ride hard,friend.-Jesse

Looks like an amazing time! Live it up,doood.-Catherine

sdpfeiffy said...

Hi Delan--Looks like your adventure is shaping up to be exactly what you planned-even if parts of the "plan" have changed. I have to admit that I'm a bit envious of your journey (but not the sleeping outdoors part!)

We'll be following, so keep updating :)

Julia Fausti (Brookings-friend of your folks)

Anonymous said...

Dang it, Delan! I posted yeterday but it must have floated into cyber-oblivion!! Sounds like things are going well...except for the storms you've been encountering although it's beautifully cool here this morning. We'd done a lot of vacationing in your current areas taking in annual movies at Neleigh's drive in. Good travels, my friend...and leave those leprechauns in O'Neill!