22 August 2011

Epic Ride

OK...sorry I haven't chimed in here. I've been avoiding the whole post-journey reflection. I offically arrived back in Omaha 2 weeks ago on August 8th at about 6:30 pm. Really it seems like just a far off dream I had, now as I've been thrust, of course, into the realities of joblessness in sucky economylessness. I don't forget though that it is the journey and I'm in the midst and I have faith. It's all I have.
Meanwhile I've been trying to have some fun. Amy and I have been tourists in our own town, going to the botanical gardens and me to the Durham Museum to see their show on George Washington Carver. I've been trying to maintain my touring tan by riding as much as possible. I signed up for and ran in my first bike race last Saturday. I figured with all the riding I've been doing I should do all right. You can read more about it and see the results here. More on that later...
It's rather tough to ride around here with all the water. It is a bit depressing here in Omaha with all the flooding. The water has gone down about 4 feet but it really doesn't seem to make a difference. There is one bridge, accessable by bicycle, open for travel over to Council Bluffs. But waa waa right? We just visited Amy's Stepdad, Jim's farm north of Omaha and all their cropland is under a heavy current and to make matters worse last week's hail storm dropped a tree on their house and presumably killed a horse(the horse has not been found!) Just bad, but luckily the house sustained little severe damage. Omaha and surrounds, by far, had the worst flooding that I saw on the trip.

No comments: