10 August 2011

Last Night on the Road


View from the Overlook at Preparation Canyon State Park near Pisgah, Iowa
 And here it is, the last night out. It came quick, and actually this whole last leg of the trip, I've been going pretty fast on my way back home. I've seen a lot of beautiful country and Eastern South Dakota should not be discounted.
Last night I stayed in Sioux City with a "warmshowers" host, Mark. Warmshowers is a website that links travelling bicyclists with a place to stay if they need it. Mark answered my call and I'm glad he did. I did not want to camp out around Sioux City. He was a great guy and we went out, with a couple others, for some beers and pizza at El Fredos. Great Pizza!
The flooding there was pretty bad. It forced another detour as my original route followed the riverfront trail. That was all under water.

View of Sioux City Waterfront from Prospect Hill
The Loess Hills of Iowa send constant reminders of the Black Hills of South Dakota, at least from a distance. It is a really beautiful place save for the humidity! There are several scenic routes that run through the hills, each of which are sprinkled with character-filled communities in the valleys. I definitely want to come back and explore more.

No comments: